Happy almost-end-of-January! I know my friends in Australia (hi Roz!) and New Zealand (hi Glenn and Maryanne!) are probably bemoaning the lessening of sunshine, but up here it’s really nice to look out the window at 5:00 PM and still have a little light. I’m getting better each day, still laboring under the handicap of double-vision, but my sewing mojo is in full swing. If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, you saw that I got sidelined in my quest to make Style Arc’s Janet Dress because I didn’t have any stretch lining and I couldn’t find any locally. To fill my mojo-chasm, I checked my stash, where I found a stunning pink silk crepe. I thought about what I could use/wear right away, and immediately settled on Paco Peralta’s blouse from Vogue V1527. I adore the White Version that I Made Last Year, and I didn’t need to make any further fitting adjustments to it, so I pulled it out and went at it! I won’t do a full review, just highlight some of the differences.
The last version I made of this pattern was in a rich, heavy 3-ply silk crepe. This one is also silk crepe, but it’s 1-ply so it’s considerably lighter. Because of that, I was able to use the recommended French Seams at the sides and the shoulders. They turned out beautifully. if I do say. I was asked on IG how to do French seams, so here’s a quick run-down.
First, you sew a narrow seam with wrong sides together. In this pattern, the recommended wrong-side-to-wrong-side seam allowance is 3/8 inch.
Next, trim the seam allowance close to the stitching.
Next, crease along the stitching and press, with right sides together, then stitch a ¼” seam, encasing the trimmed seam
Press your seams properly, to keep The Pressinatrix happy, and voila! A lovely, couture-finish!
And for the thing that made me most proud? Check out the intersection of the sleeve and side seams!
When I do it again, I would make a slight change. Instead of 3/8 inch seams to start, I’ll use ½ inch, and trim very close, then sew the final seam a scant 1/8 inch from the edge. That will give a baby French seam, which I think will curve around the shoulder even better. This isn’t bad, but that will be nicer. But I need my binocular vision back for that.
A couple of things that I noted while making this pattern again. First, I used covered button cufflinks for the French cuffs.
Another factoid that may only interest me: if you cover 5/8 inch half-ball buttons, the template for the fabric cover exactly matches the diameter of a Gütermann 500M spool. It’s very easy to trace around one of those.
For the semi-concealed buttons under the jabot, I found some inexpensive pink ones in JoAnn. They cost next to nothing, but they match perfectly!
And voilà! A beautiful blouse that I’ll wear tomorrow. I’m going to pair it with jeans and chunky heels. Here’s the front and back on Shelley:
Next on the list is my Style Arc Janet Dress. Now that I have the lining I can start it this weekend. Maybe even finish it.
Winner of the Cashmerette Turner Pattern Giveaway!
On Monday I let Google’s random number generator do its work and it drew…
So LeeAnn, congratulations! I sent your pattern off today by first class mail so you should have it in the next several days. Thank you to all who entered, and of course,