ETA at 9:43 PM. I took a couple more pictures of the shirt, and the pockets just looked off no matter how I tweaked things (technically the pockets were level). That would have driven me crazy, so I removed the right breast pocket. It’s purely decorative anyway, and I took it off before the stitches had a chance to leave permanent marks. So now I only have one pocket, and no weirdness do deal with. Yay!
I’ve already reviewed this pattern , and I made a second version in a lacy eyelet fabric, so I’ll only tell you the differences this time. Alas, this pattern is now out of print, but Vogue has a pretty close approximation in V9029. The big difference between the two is that this pattern (meaning the Butterick) has B/C/D cup sizes, so most of the work is done for you.
The last time I made this pattern was 4 years ago. It’s a classic; it still looks fresh. To remind you, this pattern is a shoulder-princess-line blouse with sleeve, collar, (Oxford comma!) and length variations. I made a hybrid of all the different versions this time. Once again I made a size 12/D-cup at the shoulder, giving myself a little more room at the waist (sigh…)
The fabric I used this time is a stretch cotton striped shirting that was a gift from a very dear friend/fabric vendor. I can’t get any more of it, and I loved it so much I hoarded it for myself, sorry. Sort of. (Bad Ann! No biscuit for you or Gorgeous Fabrics!)
I ran this up on my Pfaff for the most part, and finished the seams on my Juki serger. Alas, my trusty Pfaff is having major trouble with the automatic buttonholer, so I wasn’t able to finish it until I brought Skippy the Emergency Backup Sewing Machine (an old Bernina) home from the office today. I adore my Pfaff’s automatic buttonholer, because you can pretty much set it and forget it, but I’ll give Skippy credit, the Bernina makes a beautiful buttonhole.
I used Pro-Woven Shirt Crisp interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply for the collar and cuffs. The buttons are Pearl Shell Shirt Buttons, also from Fashion Sewing Supply.
Construction Notes: I love working with stripes and playing with grain, as you know if you have seen the Article I Wrote for Threads Magazine. For this version, I decided to have a little fun. I made a half-pattern of the collar and cut it on the bias. As a side note, I probably should have made an under-collar pattern as well, to force turn of the cloth. Oh well. Next time. Back to the bias. This produces some fun results. First, you get the chevron at the Center Back:
Second, when the collar is closed (which in reality it never will be on me, but that’s a neither here nor there) the stripes match across the center front:
I also cut the sleeve band on the bias.
Finally, I took a hint from the Paco Peralta for Vogue Patterns 1527 Blouse and made the last buttonhole horizontal (the rest run vertically).
Once again, this pattern produced a winner of a shirt! I love the lines, I love the cup sizes, and I love this pattern! Here are shots on Shelley. I’ll get some on me later.
Not sure what’s next on my sewing docket. It’s FINALLY starting to feel like March around here. Oh wait, it’s April. Anyway, I’m thinking something spring like. I’ll let you know once I know.