No Bleeding Heart, but No Mojo, Either

First up, a PSA from Gorgeous Fabrics!

For any of you who are following the Heartbleed security issue, there’s some good news. Gorgeous Fabrics does not use the version of SSL that has the security problem. So you can shop at www.gorgeousfabrics.com with comfort and confidence. But as a general recommendation, you should regularly change your passwords on any sites you use. It’s just good housekeeping. If keeping track of passwords is an issue for you, there are lots of tools, both free and for purchase, available for storing and even generating passwords. KeePass and 1Password are two that I have used.

So that’s the great news! The bad news? My mojo is gone. Kaput. Said sayonara and beat it out of here and hasn’t been seen for the last couple of weeks. I cut out my ICITFD dress, and I don’t feel like doing anything with it. My Marfy coat is 75% of the way done and I just look at it and shrug. The Pressinatrix keeps poking me with a collar point press to try to goad me to do something, but whenever I start, I get bored after about 10 minutes. Sigh…

Not a happy sewing table.

Not a happy sewing table.

So, dear readers, what do you do when your sewing mojo goes on hiatus? How do you restart it? I’m open to any and all suggestions!

Happy sewing!

About Gorgeous Fabrics

I own an online fabric store, www.GorgeousFabrics.com. The name says it all!
This entry was posted in Sewing. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to No Bleeding Heart, but No Mojo, Either

1. Two words: TNT t-shirt (either a new variation or a simple version out of nice fabric that I love).

2. Patti says:

Give yourself permission to just let it go for awhile. By taking the pressure off I find it returns sooner. We all need a break from time to time. The more irritated at myself, and stressed I become over it, the less I want to go back to sewing. Then when I do go back I do something simple like Michelle Rose mentioned for instant gratification.
    Hugs,
    Patti

3. Michelle says:

When I lose my mojo, I start cleaning and pretty soon I come across a project that I had forgotten about which gets me excited to sew again. I think your sewing room needs some “spring” touches. A little bit of life, so that it draws you in and makes you happy to be there.

4. Toby Wollin says:

I have a couple of grandchildren who always seem to need things (even if they don’t know they need them, ahem) and one of the wonders of teeny people is that any sewing is fast and fun. I just make a dress for my grand-daughter — If I’m not up for frills, ruffles, and trim, I pick a piece of fabric that is a lively print. If I think I need to get my detail work on, then I put on a ruffle, trim, and the works. Gets me revved up every time.

5. Anne says:

I give myself permission to not do anything for a while! I lost interest in my Burda trench last October and when I picked it up again in December I felt refreshed and ready to work on it again. Sometimes a break is a good thing.

6. Rhoda K says:

I have to agree with all the above. My mojo is gone and it’s been a while. I had shoulder surgery in December and figured, okay, a nice break, but now I’m able but just can’t seem to get moving. Hopefully, soon – I’m getting desperate. Even watching the GBSB didn’t help, although I enjoyed every minute of all 8 episodes!

7. Rhoda K says:

I just typed a comment and it disappeared . . . . what happened?

8. Suzanne says:

I do something else for a while. Sometimes I come back to it after seeing a new pattern or fabric. Sometimes just after not doing it a while. Sometimes an old project inspires me to finish. But I just walk away and do something else. And usually, when I start back, I start with something easy (especially if what I stopped on was difficult and/or not making progress).

Hang in there. And thanks for the ICITFD inspiration. My project is coming along. I’m not entirely happy with it (but it’s better than I expected) and I’ve learned a few things.

Well folks, I took much of the advice here to heart. I’m going to let the two current works in progress be for a while. But tonight I did sew something – curtains for DS the Younger’s room. That did two good things for my psyche: it got me back behind the sewing machine, making a project in the space of 3 hours. The second thing was it got some fabric out of my sewing room. And the bonus? DS the Younger loves his new curtains!

Thanks to all for the advice. Please keep it coming. I’m not sure I’m out of the mojo woods yet.

10. Katie R says:

I go shopping and realize how poorly RTW clothes are and how chinsy the fabrics are and realize I could totally do better myself!

11. Lucy says:

I turn to something else. Knitting, usually. At any given time my sewing mojo and knitting mojo are in a play-off against each other.

But you don’t have to do anything. Your business is fabric but you sew for fun, and forcing yourself to do so when you don’t feel like it will just suck the fun out of it and make it another chore.

12. Jane M says:

I have found myself feeling apologetic for losing my sewing mojo when I started blogging a few years ago and then had to stop and say “what the heck is that about?” Now I just do the other things that I have always loved….reading to excess, gardening, hiking and enjoying my friends. Eventually something catches my eye….a garment in a window, a pillow at Pottery Barn and I feel the wheels start turning in my head. Those of us who sew for fun have a wonderful freedom and that’s what we can celebrate, not just our latest creation.

13. Patty says:

You know how you sew a garment for a certain event- you know like when you went to Disney for your son and you used that beautiful Milly fabric with a Burda pattern, or a dress for a certain event. Think of a goal- even something casual- all the better so it’s quick and easy- use a Stylearc pattern and make a fun T shirt with fabric you love. This will help bring your desire back. Put those other projects on the back burner- it’s ok to do so.

14. Kathi Sorensen says:

Take a day off from Everything! Spend a day with a sewing friend – not sewing. Go out to lunch, go to a show or a museum: play hooky! You earned it, you deserve it!

15. Glenys Brown says:

It is difficult to imagine you losing your”mojo”. Maybe you need some sunshine over there in Boston, get the serotonin lifted. I lost my husband suddenly a year ago and sewing has been my saviour, the only thing I could concentrate on but it seems you are picking up so perhaps nothing serious.

16. Mark says:

Find a willing student who’s company you enjoy, and teach them. Their enthusiasm will recharge you. Touch base with basic skills again and refuel creativity.

17. Cindy C. says:

“Recovery Phase”: Head to your nearest better fabric store and pet the fabrics — the new-to-you fabrics. Especially those with bright, cheery colors and arresting graphics or rich textures and elegant subtlety. Then head to the pattern catalogs and dream away as you analyze the lines and styles of the garments pictured. Then, find a tiny special gift to yourself, whether it be a little gadget or doodad you don’t already own, an exquisite “statement” button to put on a one-button jacket or on the front of a tote bag some day, or a great new pattern. Taking joy in a wonderful little find is proof that you are in recovery mode.

“Relaxation Phase”: Then head to a little coffee shop or bakery and treat yourself. Coffee and croissants always does it for me. While there, muse on a mini-wardrobe that might fill some holes in your wardrobe or just provide a useful and pretty change of pace and update. No decisions need to be made, this is just the comforting phase.

“Reboot Phase”: Take the prettiest thing you have in your stash for a top or easy skirt, grab your TNT pattern, and start laying it out. You’ll be seamlessly moving from stage to stage before you know it.

18. mary says:

Mojo no go. Mojo no gone. Mojo naps.

19. Dear Sis says:

In the words of the Great Philosophers, Lennon and McCartney — Let It Be. Pick up a good book, preferably chic lit — not on sewing or on fashion, and escape for a while. When you come back you will be refreshed and ready for any project (new or in-progress). I find that works with my knitting. In fact, it’s almost seasonal. The projects I started in the darkest or sunniest parts of the year seem to lose their luster if they aren’t finished by the time the season changes. I always go back to them eventually but you just get bored sometimes. Happy whatever-craft-you-do! DS

20. JustGail says:

Maybe you have fabric overload? I mean, you’re surrounded by gorgeous Gorgeous Fabrics fabrics all day. Maybe a visit to the nearest chain fabric store and look at what they carry. When you go back to your fabrics, it might re-energize you. Sort of a fabric version of Katie R’s checking out RTW.

When I’m in a sewing funk (this one is lasting a looong time :-( ) I work on other things – a bit of quilting or needlework, revisit learning to knit, clean out the sewing room and other needlework and craft items, even clean/organize cabinets and storage areas, something to focus on besides the lack of sewing mojo.